info@thecota.ca   (250) 860-3866   (778) 753-0681

Professional Development Articles

From Isolation to Collaboration Summer Institute

Mar 28, 2013 jjamison

August 27th, 28th, and 29th.

Teacher Inquiry

We will be offering sessions this summer for teachers to meet with their colleagues to look at important professional issues in their practice. We will have BCTF trained Facilitators and teacher leaders facilitating these sessions. Opportunities will be available to groups to extend their study throughout the year.

Suggestions:      

• 21st Century Skills
  • Reading and Writing
  • IPad Apps
  • Smartboard
  • Critical Thinking
  • Project Based Learning
  • Assessment
  • HACE
  • Literacy
  • Numeracy
  • Alternate Education
  • Flipped Classrooms
  • Fine Arts
  • Tech ED
  • Science
  • French
  • Physical Education
  • Literature
  • Career Preparation
  • Other

We have a number of excellent keynote speakers and session presenters.  In addition to having the Canadian Educators below, we will be holding two days of MindUP Training by Marianne Prins. Deb Ziolkoski will be presenting for a day on "Fun with Composers". Jane and John Felling are returning with new material from their "Boxcars and One Eyed Jacks" sessions. Applications to present is still open.

Dr. Roland Case, Dr. Gini-Newman, Laura Newman, Dr. Phil Balcaen and the TC2 group will be presenting and leading practical sessions on how to tweak your lessons to meet the needs of your students.

View the videos that TC² and other organizations have developed that show educators explaining and applying various aspects of our approach to inquiry teaching and learning.

Understanding critical thinking

This video explains in a visually engaging way the core features of TC²'s definition of critical thinking. Prepared with support from The Learning Network, it unpacks what it means to view critical thinking as ongoing, mindful assessment in light of conscious consideration of relevant criteria. (4:32 minutes)

View video

Understanding critical thinking

View video

Embedded skill development

This video explains with interesting visuals and specific examples how to systematically integrate the skill and content dimensions of the curriculum to enhance students' understanding and increase their ability to think and learn more effectively. Prepared with the support of the Learning Network and the Council of Atlantic Ministers of Education and Training, the video explores (6:32 minutes):

• creating frequent opportunities to develop skills
  • teaching specific thinking tools to build competence
  • supporting independent student use of the thinking tools

View video

The three Cs

Garfield Gini-Newman discusses the 3 Cs—critical, creative and collaborative thinking—with the host of CTV’s Ottawa Morning Live. (5:23 minutes)

Share this article: