Last day for Self-Directed Professional Development Applications
This is a reminder that February 13th is the last day that you can submit self-directed pd applications. If you miss this date, you can still sign up for the COTA Pro-D Conference.
COTA's Pro-D Policy
1.0 Definition of Professional Development
Professional development includes a variety of programs, services, and activities empowering teachers to continually grow, both individually and collaboratively, while having an ongoing positive impact on teaching and learning.
2.0 Purposes of Professional Development
The purpose of professional development is to assist teachers in improving the quality of our practices by
- · nurturing the development of professionals;
- · enriching and maintaining professional relationships with students and parents;
- · initiating curriculum and instructional reforms improving teaching and learning;
- · discussing, assessing and applying educational theories;
- · thoughtfully engaging in professional and collegial conversations.
3.0 Professional Development Principles
- a. Each teacher is responsible to the profession
- b. Our professional autonomy is essential and dependent on members responsibly using their Pro-D Days through ongoing, active learning.
- c. Pro-D is driven by individual and/or collaborative reflection and assessment of needs.
- d. Flexible and differentiated professional development opportunities are essential to meet the various learning needs of every teacher.
- e. Pro-D encourages collegiality, informs teaching practice and enhances student learning.
- f. Effective professional development requires commitment, resources, time and support to meet teachers’ needs.
The self-directed professional development activity must be completed on this day at school or an appropriate place for the type of activity selected.