Introduction to Health and Wellness - A Free edX Course
This course is part of Global Freshman Academy (GFA), which means you can earn transferable ASU credit toward your college degree.
This 3 credit health and wellness course focuses on the latest trends in health, nutrition, physical activity, and wellness. From stress management and sleep to overall wellbeing, we will explore personal health, health related attitudes and beliefs, and individual health behaviors.
- Assessment of one’s personal health
- Introduction to population health and national and global health goals
- Dietary choices for lifelong health
- Improving personal fitness
- Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight
- Assessing health information
- Managing stress
- Sleep hygiene
- Lowering risk of infectious diseases
- Chronic disease risk reduction
This course satisfies the Social-Behavioral Sciences (SB) general studies requirement at Arizona State University. This course may satisfy a general education requirement at other institutions; however, it is strongly encouraged that you consult with your institution of choice to determine how these credits will be applied to their degree requirements prior to transferring the credit.
What you'll learn
- The role of health, nutrition, physical activity, and wellness in your daily life
- An understanding of how psychological and emotional health are connected to our overall wellbeing and health
- How to identify personal health risks based upon current lifestyle choices
- How to identify lifestyle changes that will enhance lifelong health
- How to evaluate the evidence to support healthy behaviors and lifestyles